Our teeth are sealed by gums as it helps teeth to remain intact in their position. Healthy gums are mostly pinkish in color but it may vary from person to person. Like in light skin color, their gums will be pinkish in color, while in dark skin color their gums will be naturally dark due to presence of melanin content.
If this color changes with presence of inflammation and swelling with complain of pain and bleeding, this is mostly due to the presence of the bacterial infection. This condition is called as gingivitis.
This gingivitis condition even welcomes many more gums and teeth related problems as the socket where the teeth lies becomes soften due to which patient may complain of lodging of food material and this condition invites the bacteria for their proliferation. If this condition gets severe, there can be poor prognosis which can lead to retention of the teeth.
Causes for the bleeding gums
Bleeding gums is most common symptom of gum diseases. For those who brush their teeth vigorously, bleeding is commonly present. But you should know what can be probable causes which can produce bleeding gums.
- Gingivitis:-It is an inflammation of gums caused due bacterial infection and is very common diseases which every dentist think first. It is present in the patients who:-
- Chewing tobacco
- Takes oral medications
- Crooked teeth
- In case where dental appliances does not fit properly
- Filling in gums is not proper
- Genetic factor
- Immune compromised patients
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)
- Tooth cavities (tooth decay)
- ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura)
- Pernicious anemia
- Cirrhosis of liver
- ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia)
- CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia)
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Deficiency of factor V, VII, X (responsible for blood clotting)
- Temporal arteritis
Above are all factors which can be responsible for bleeding gums.
Symptoms of bleeding gums
Many of the people are unaware of their gums disease until they do not found any symptoms. This is mostly found in case of gingivitis. Here are the symptoms of bleeding gums.
- Gums will be tender (pain) with red and swollen.
- There will be bleeding while brushing teeth.
- Teeth becomes loose
- Gums which surround the teeth are pulled out.
- Pain in teeth while eating.
- Presence of pus in between the teeth.
- Halitosis (foul smelling from the mouth)
Treatment of bleeding gums
Treatment of bleeding gums are done according to the signs and symptoms which the patient present in front of the dentist. The treatment is done by medicationswhich includes antibiotics to stop bleeding gums and to remove the bacterial infection present in gums and by general management which includes:-
- Maintaining hygiene by deep cleaning of the mouth.
- Antiseptic mouth wash
- Stop chewing tobacco
- Stop smoking.
If the patient ignores the bleeding gums, this can lead to the severity of the disease for which the patient has to go for the dental surgery. To avoid surgery if you notice bleeding gums, consult 32SMILES without wasting of time.32SMILESis specialized into dental solutions but if you are planning to a visit a dentist then 32SMILES will help you out too with options ranging from small to large gums problems with all specifications details as per your requirement.